Link popularity describes the number and quality of referral links that other domains have to yours. Link popularity is important for site promotion as a way to boost traffic to your site.
Link popularity assists in three ways:
- When another site links to yours it is an opportunity for a user to travel from that site to yours.
- Search engine spiders will also use the links to find your site and thus will index it more readily.
- Many search engines will rank the pages on a web site higher if it has a higher link popularity.
Search engines are placing increased weight on the link popularity of a site for rankings.
link popularity tips
- It is important that the link text for referral links contain proper keywords for your site. Thus people who use the link will know what to expect. Additionally many search engines will boot rankings for the keywords used.
- Many search engines take into account the popularity of the site that is linking to you as an indicator of the quality of the referral. Therefore, a few links from popular sites can be more beneficial then many from sites with low link popularity.