Web designers are skilled resources that create content for web sites. The term web designer was originally used to describe someone who developed the entire site. However, with today's complex business web site, multiple skills are needed that are generally beyond one persons ability. Teams of people with different skills develop higher quality sites.
The term web designer, in its modern context, describes someone who is responsible for the creative, visual aspects of a site. Successful designers will typically posses a mix of marketing, graphic design, and technical skills.
web designer tips
- Many freelancers call themselves web designers because they know HTML and PhotoShop. There is a big difference between being technically competent and being able to produce a quality site.
- Look for your resource's resumes to include a background in print, multi-media and traditional design along with marketing psychology.
typical salary / fees
- Novice: $20K/yr (Internal), $35/hr (External)
- Experienced: $35K/yr (Internal), $60/hr (External)
- Expert: $60K/yr (Internal), $90/hr (External)