A press release is a news-style article that is distributed for publication. Press releases can be targeted for online electronic publications or offline print.
Publication of a press release is a three part process:
- Write article copy
- Distribute to journalists and editors
- If article is approved it is published
Press releases differ from mass marketing in that a third party is used to judge and endorse the quality of the information before printing. The format must also differ from traditional advertising in that the information must be news of interest verse purely marketing copy.
press release tips
- While press releases can be very powerful, they require a fair amount of expertise to execute properly. If you do not have experience in the PR game, it is generally best to use a professional.
- Press releases have a secondary value as news for your site. An article published about your company and/or its web site in a respected publication provides instant credibility.
- Who and how the release is distributed is just as important as the quality of the article. When working with a consultant make sure both issues are considered properly.