e-Commerce is a special web application that allows users to browse products and make online purchases with a credit card. e-Commerce is a very popular mechanism for companies large and small to sell their wares on a world-wide market.
- Shopping Cart
- Online catalog that allows users to select products to purchase at 'check out'.
- Merchant Account
- Service that handles the financial processing of credit cards.
- Processing Gateway
- Service that enables transactions from your Shopping Cart to your Merchant Account
- Digital Certificate / Secured Server
- Encrypts information to provide secure transaction processing
- e-Commerce is available in many packages. Thoroughly research a solution provider before committing, particularly those that have low up-front costs. There are often hidden costs or special terms that will prove detrimental in the long run.
- Be careful when selecting a Merchant Account, read the fine print in the agreement. (See Merchant Accounts for more tips).
activities, time and costs estimates
- Pre-packaged e-Commerce: 2Days - 2Wks, $4,000 (Ave)
- Purchase of application, installation, configuration (see app categories for more specific pricing)
- Custom e-Commerce: 5 Day - 1+ Years, $2,000 - $1M+
- Custom e-commerce can be small (a few hours) to extensive (thousands of development hours). Custom programming has to be custom quoted based on your needs.