Libraries are ways to store items which may need updating like
text, images, and tables that are to be used throughout the Site.
For instance, I have used library items for a disclaimer, a phrase
and some sub-level navigations. I have also used them for the tip
table and the 1-6 numbered buttons. These are items I wish to recall
and have consistent, but, do not want to recreate them each time.
After being placed on the page, I detach them from the Library so
that I may edit them. (Much like Templates).
The navigations and blurbs I have not detached, they will remain
editable. This comes in handy if you use certain note text, or phrases
throughout the Site. If legal changes the disclaimer, a quick edit
to the Library item and it will be updated throughout the Site where
it is used.
To Create A Library Item
You can create a library item from any element in the body section
of a document, including text, tables, forms, Java applets, plug-ins,
ActiveX elements, navigation bars, and images.
You can not use Timelines or style sheets on Library items as they
must be stored in the HEAD section. There are particular requirements
of utilizing any behavior or script in a Library item and I recommend
reading the Dreamweaver help on this.
- Select a portion of a document to save as a library item.
- Do one of the following:
- Choose Window > Library and drag the selection into the
Library category of the Assets panel.
- Click the New Library Item button at the bottom of the Assets
panel (in the Library category).
- Choose Modify > Library > Add Object to Library.
- Enter a name for the new library item.
Each library item is saved as a separate file (with the file
extension .lbi) in the Library folder of the Site's local root folder.
To Use A Library Item
- Open the Assets Window and click on Library icon.
- Select the Library item and then click insert
To Update A Library Item
- Double Click on the Library item in the Asset window.
- Make the modifications.
- After saving, Dreamweaver will update the Site much like the